[Opening: Andy Griffith clip]
Ancient Proverb: Gossip is a rumor that goes in one ear and out many mouths.
The only time when people dislike gossip is when you gossip about them.
- Will Rogers
Biblical Definition: Gossip: The betrayal of confidence. (Proverbs 11:13, 20:19)
Proverbs 18:8 - A gossip's words are like choice food that goes down to one's innermost being.
The Lure of Gossip
- Gossip just ___ do ___ ! (Proverbs 18:8)
- Gossip appeals to our most fundamental, depraved human nature.
• Our curiosity … we are inquisitive and often-time nosy people.
• Our overabundance of time and technology
• Our egos.
How Does Gossiping Harm You?
- It allows evil to get a foothold. (image: this is what a "foothold" looks like) (Ephesians 4:27)
- It gets you branded as being untrustworthy. (Proverbs 20:19)
- It makes you a relationship destroyer. (Proverbs 17:19)
- It ruins your fellowship with God. (James 1:26)
How to Shut Down Gossip
We have to make the conscious choice to power it down.
- Re__ it!
- Re__ it!
- Redirect it (Look at the gossiper and say, "…")